Govote (or www.govote.org.uk) is provided by Glastonbury Original Ltd.
Govote is the data controller for pages starting with www.govote.org.uk. Where these pages link out to services provided by other websites, agencies and local authorities their own privacy policies will apply. These are managed separately by each service provider.
A data controller determines how and why personal data is processed. For more information, read the Cabinet Office’s entry in the Data Protection Public Register.
What data we collect
The personal data we collect from you includes:
- questions, queries or feedback you leave, including your email address and profile information for Govote.
- your email address and profile preferences when you sign up to our website
- how you use our emails - for example whether you open them and which links you click on
- your Internet Protocol (IP) address, and details of which version of web browser you used
- information on how you use the site, using cookies and page tagging techniques
We use Google Analytics software to collect information about how you use Govote.org.uk
Google Analytics stores information about:
- the pages you visit on Govote.org.uk
- how long you spend on each Govote.org.uk page
- how you got to the site
- what you click on while you’re visiting the site
We do not collect or store your personal information through Google Analytics (for example your name or address) so this information cannot be used to identify who you are.
Why we need your data
We collect information through Google Analytics to monitor how you use the site. We do this to help:
- make sure the site is meeting the needs of its users
- make improvements, for example improving site search and the user experience.
We also collect data in order to:
- gather feedback to improve our services, for example our email alerts
- respond to any feedback you send us, if you’ve asked us to
- send email alerts to users who request them
- allow you to access govote services and make transactions
- provide you with information about other services if you want it
- monitor use of the site to identify security threats
The legal basis for processing personal data in relation to site security is our legitimate interests, and the legitimate interests of our users, in ensuring the security and integrity of GOVOTE.ORG.UK
The legal basis for processing all other personal data is that it’s necessary to perform a task in the public interest.
What we do with your data
The data we collect may be shared with government departments, agencies and public bodies. It may also be shared with our technology suppliers, for example our hosting provider.
We will not:
- sell or rent your data to third parties
- share your data with third parties for marketing purposes
We will share your data if we are required to do so by law – for example, by court order, or to prevent fraud or other crime.
How long we keep your data
We will only retain your personal data for as long as:
- it is needed for the purposes set out in this document
- the law requires us to
We will keep your email data until you unsubscribe. We will keep your feedback data for 2 years. We will delete access log data after 30 days.
Children’s privacy protection
Our services are not designed for, or intentionally targeted at, children 13 years of age or younger. We do not intentionally collect or maintain data about anyone under the age of 13. We expect that any children 13 years of age or younger who are on the site to be under parental or guardian supervision. Children 13 years of age or younger who are on the site must not accept or respond to messages from anyone they do not know and should report that person via the report button for further investigation by the Govote Team.
Where your data is processed and stored
We design, build and run our systems to make sure that your data is as safe as possible at all stages, both while it’s processed and when it’s stored.
All personal data is stored in the European Economic Area (EEA). Google Analytics data may be transferred outside the EEA, but this cannot be used to personally identify you.
How we protect your data and keep it secure
We are committed to doing all that we can to keep your data secure. We have set up systems and processes to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure of your data – for example, we protect your data using varying levels of encryption.
We also make sure that any third parties that we deal with keep all personal data they process on our behalf secure.
You have the right to request:
- information about how your personal data is processed
- a copy of that personal data
- that anything inaccurate in your personal data is corrected immediately
You can also:
- raise an objection about how your personal data is processed
- request that your personal data is erased if there is no longer a justification for it
- ask that the processing of your personal data is restricted in certain circumstances
If you have any of these requests, get in contact with GoVote marking the subject for the Privacy Team.
Links to other websites
GOVOTE.ORG..UK contains links to other websites.
Following a link to another website
Following a link to GOVOTE.ORG.UK from another website
Changes to this policy
If these changes affect how your personal data is processed, GDS will take reasonable steps to let you know.
Contact us or make a complaint via our contact form.